Senior Fellow at the Brain Sciences Foundation (USA)
Mathieu Guidère is French Senior Expert on Radicalisation and a full professor at the University of Paris, France. A scholar of Islam and the Arab world, he is also an expert in geopolitics, Arabic history, Middle Eastern cultures and societies, and ideological trends especially Islamist movements. In 2017, he published the Historical Dictionary of Islamic Fundamentalism (Scarecrow Press) in English. In 2016, he is the Winner of the Internationl Award for Translation (Eighth Session).
Dr. Guidère is co-founder of the Radicalization Watch Project based in Washington, D.C (from 2006 to 2015), then he was the European Union Team Leader for its CVE programme in the Maghreb and the Sahel (PPREV-UE). He has been also appinted as Senior Consultant by the UNOWAS for the study of radicalisation in the G5 Sahel countries (Mauritania, Tchad, Niger, Faso, Mali).
He held other professorships at such prestigious institutions including the University of Geneva, Switzerland (2007 to 2011) and the Ecole Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr, France (2003-2007) then The University of Toulouse (2011-2015). During the last decade, Dr. Guidère has published several books on the Arabic language and culture such as The Return of the Caliphate (Gallimard, 2016), The Classical Arabic Poetry (La Poésie arabe classique, Ellipses, 2006).
Dr. Guidère was editor-in-chief of the Defense Concepts Journal in 2006. He was awarded a Fulbright Prize in 2006 to advance his research on the topic. He has published books on the Al-Qaeda organization and its activities in North Africa and the Middle East such as The New Terrorists (Les nouveaux terroristes, Autrement, 2010) and The Al-Qaeda Recruitment Manual (Le Manuel de recrutement d'Al-Qaeda, Le Seuil, 2007) which has been translated into Spanish (Manual de Reclutamiento Al Qaeda, Edorial Base, 2007). He has also published in English for the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point: "The Tribal Allegiance System within AQIM."
During the 1990s, Mathieu Guidère worked on issues surrounding global communications and translation studies. Afterwards, he published several works including Advertising and Translation (Publicité et traduction, L'Harmattan, 2000), The Multilingual Communication: Market and Institutional Translation (La communication multilingue : Traduction commerciale et institutionnelle, De Boeck, 2008), and Iraq in Translation: The Art of Losing a War without Knowing the Language of your Opponent (Irak in translation : De l'art de perdre une guerre sans connaître la langue de son adversaire, Jacob-Duvernet, 2008), and Oriented Translation and Communication (Traduction et Communication orientée, Editions Le Manuscrit, 2009).
Since 2011, Dr. Guidère has been a Senior Fellow at The Brain Sciences Foundation. He was also a lead researcher for MIT Mind Machine Project. His research activities deal with cognitive linguistics and cultural intelligence, particularly as it applies to the Islamic world and the Middle East. He has been regularly interviewed by European media outlets such as France24 and many Anglophone publications as well including The New York Times and The Washington Post.
Mathieu Guidère's interest in studying the Arab world began while he was a child as he spent his first 18 years in various countries throughout the Middle East. There, he received both a French and Arabic education. Upon arriving to Paris, he began his advanced studies at the Sorbonne University. There, he studied French literature and Middle Eastern cultures at the Master's level. During this time, he joined the École supérieure de cadres interprètes-traducteurs and graduated from there in 1995. Then, in 1997, he received the agrégation degree in Arabic before obtaining his doctoral degree in linguistics a year later and while preparing a second Doctorate in medieval Arab history also from the Sorbonne.
In short, Guidère holds a Ph.D. in linguistics, a Master's diploma in French Linguistics and in Middle Eastern Studies, as well as a Bachelor's in modern Arab studies and French literature. He also has an HDR diploma (Habilitation à Diriger les Recherches) from the University of Lyon 2. His degrees were completed in both French and Arabic.
After his agrégation, Guidère became an associate professor (Maître de Conférences) at the Lumière University Lyon 2 in France were he taught linguistics and translation from 1999 to 2003. After September 11, 2001, the French government made use of his knowledge and Guidère was appointed resident professor by the French Military Academy of Saint-Cyr in 2003. While at this position (which lasted until 2007), he was also the director of the Strategic Information Analysis Laboratory (LAISVT) in the academy's research center (CREC Saint-Cyr).
In 2006, he began to study radical groups for the Center for Advanced Defense Studies in Washington D.C.. Then, in 2007, Guidère joined the University of Geneva (Switzerland) were he was a professor of multilingual monitoring and translation studies. After 2011, he has been appointed at the University of Toulouse, France, as a full professor of Islamic and Arabic studies, then in 2016 as full professor at the University of Paris 8.
He also served as Editor-in-Chief of Les Langues Modernes, an academic journal sponsored by the French Association of Languages professors, and has written over 30 books whose topics cover the Arab language and culture, radical Islam, and global terrorism. He has also conducted many conferences in both French, Arabic, and English.
Prof. Dr. MATHIEU GUIDERE
- Guidee M. (2017), The War of Islamisms, Paris, Gallimard.
- Guidere M. (2017), Atlas of Islamic Terrorism, Paris, Autrement.
- Guidere M. (2016), The Return of the Caliphate, Paris, Gallimard.
- Guidere M. (2016), The Islamic State, Paris, Tallandier.
- Guidere M. (2015), Atlas of the Arab World, Paris, Autrement.
- Guidere M. (2015), State of the Arab World, Brussels, DeBoeck.
- Guidere M. (2015), Terror: the New Era, Paris, Autrement.
- Guidere M. (2015), Predictive Linguistics, Paris, Harmattan.
- Guidère M. (2012), Historical Dictionary of Islamic Fundamentalism, NY: Scarecrow Press. https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810878211
- Guidère M. (2010), Radicalization Watch Project, Washington DC: CADS Press.
2015 L’Etat du monde arabe, Paris, De Boeck Université, 2015, 220 pages.
2015 Terrorisme : la nouvelle vague, Paris, Editions Autrement, 2015, 240 pages.
2015 La Linguistique prédictive : de la cognition à l’action, Paris, L’Harmattan, 2015, 205 pages.
2014 Les Règles juridiques de l’islam sunnite, Paris, Editions L’Harmattan, collection Etudes arabes, 2014, 272 pages.
2013 Sexe et Charia, Paris, Editions du Rocher, 2014, 200 pages.
- Guidère M. (2012): The Atlas of the Arab Countries, Paris: Autrement, 2012.
- Guidère M. (2012): The Islamic Spring: Democracy and Shariah, Paris: Ellipses, 2012.
- Guidère M. (2011): The Clash of the Arabic Revolutions, Paris: Autrement, 2011.
- Guidère M. (2010): The New Terrorists, Paris: Autrement, 2010.
- Guidère M. (2010) : Translation & Humanitarian Mediation (ed.), Paris: Le Manuscrit, 2010.
- Guidère M. (2009) : Obama insh’Allah, Paris : Editions Le Manuscrit, 2009.
- Guidère M. (2009) : Translation and Embedded Communication, (ed.), Paris: Le Manuscrit, 2009.
- Guidère M. (2008) : Iraq in Translation, Paris : Editions Jacob Duvernet, 2008.
- Guidère M. (2008) : Translation and Multilingual Strategic Monitoring (ed.), Paris: Le Manuscrit, 2008.
- Guidère M. (2008) : Introduction to Translation Studies, Brussels: De Boeck Université, 2008.
- Guidère M. (2008) : Multilingual Communication, Brussels: De Boeck Université, 2008.
- Guidère M. (2007) : Al Qaeda Recruitment Manual, Paris: Editions du Seuil, 2007.
- Guidère M. (2007) : Al Qaeda Conquest of North Africa, Paris: Editions du Rocher, 2007.
- Guidère M. (2006) : Al Qaeda Martyrs, Paris: Editions du Temps, 2006.
- Guidère M. (2006) : Classical Arabic Poetry : An Introduction, Paris : Editions Ellipses.
- Guidère M. (2005) : Arabic Translation : Methods and Applications, Paris : Editions Ellipses.
- Guidère M. (2004) : Methodology of Research, Paris : Editions Ellipses.
- Guidère M. (2004) : Multilingual Defense Dictionary, Paris : Editions Ellipses.
- Guidère M. (2004) : Speak Arabic, Paris : Ellipses, « Bloc notes » Series.
- Guidère M. ed. (2003) : Kalimât, Arabic Vocabulary, Paris : Ellipses.
- Guidère M. (2002), Translation Handbook (French-Arabic-English), Paris : Ellipses.
- Guidère M. (2002) : Mektoub : Writing Arabic, Paris : Ellipses.
- Guidère M. (2001) : Bilingual Arabic Lexicon of Nowadays, Paris : Editions du Temps.
- Guidère M. (2001) : Arabic Grammar Handbook, Paris : Ellipses, 240 p.
- Guidère M. (2000) : Adverstisements and Translation, Paris : Editions L'Harmattan.
The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/profiles/mathieu-guidere-124039/articles